The most complete book on how to become a great basketball player. This is the only book that looks at technique and special strength and explosive exercises specific to each basketball skill. In this book you will learn how to jump higher and quicker, how to shoot further and with more accuracy, how to make your cuts sharper and more powerful to become even quicker in your movements and how to run faster. It is the first to have:
- Sequence pictures showing all of the skills in detail and photos taken from live digital video
- Introduction to specialized strength, flexibility and explosive exercises (compared to general exercises as typically practiced)
- Introduction to active stretching (as opposed to the common static stretching)
- Biomechanical analyses of players jumping, running, shooting, and cutting described in simple, everyday language
- Common faults in each skill shown and described and how they can be corrected
- The latest in basketball specific nutrition
- Integrated training programs to improve your jump height, shooting ability and accuracy, quickness in your cutting actions and first couple steps
You will learn new and unique strength and explosive exercises that duplicate the actions that you must perform in jumping, shooting, cutting and running. With better technique and development of higher levels of strength and explosiveness specific to the skills, you will be able to develop your full potential This information cannot be found in any other book on the market!
What readers are saying!
"To maximize athletic performance, it is important to do specialized training preceded by a base of general strength training. This way, gains in general strengh can be most effectively transfered into sport speed and power: athletes will jump higher, run faster and change directions quicker. The concept of general and specialized training is no secret, for example it was core part of the East German Training Program and has been studied and applied extensively by the soviets wo were convinced of the effectiveness of these exercises. Unfortunately the concept is not practised enough especially in the US. Regarding this subject, Dr.Yessis is one of the most important experts as he was in contact with top russian coaches and scientists and brought alot of their cutting edge information to the US. Furthermore with his academic background of biomechanics and kinesiology he was able to create new specialized exercises and modify old ones to make them even more effective. These exercises can be found in his book. No other book explains the exercises as detailed: for each one you have pictures taken with high speed cameras and a detailed description of how it is done. Furthermore, the way technique of running, shooting, jumping and cutting is explained is excellent and will help the reader understand how important it is, another point that many coaches who only focus on powerlifting or bodybuilding type strength training seem to miss. Dr.Yessis not only explains how to improve jump height, speed, quickness and shooting accuray, he also teaches important principles of individualized program design and periodization. The book also covers tips for nutrition as well as advice for maintaining your training program. The content of this book is based on science and proven facts, not on hype and opinion like many others in the sports conditioning industry. Dr.Yessis is known world wide as a legit source for training information, and this book is no exception. If you want to coach or train optimally, I recommend reading it!" From Amazon.de
"I want to say thanks because the guidelines described in your book have been incredibly effective. One player I consulted and wrote a training program for using the guidelines in your book dramatically improved his running speed and quickness and got rid of his hamstring injuries. He is 5'9' and can now almost dunk a basketball (maybe needs another 1-2 inches) gaining about 9 inches after 10 weeks."
"I wrote you a while back that a basketball player I worked with made great improvements in jump height (9 inches) running speed and quickness. I used the guidelines in Explosive Basketball Training. This player improved another three inches and can now dunk at 5'9'. What's more important, he gets alot more rebounds now and is a much better defender because of his quickness and jump height."
Table of Contents:
1. General vs. Specialized Conditioning
2. Active vs. Static Stretching
3. Improving Jump Height
4. Specialized Exercises for Jumping
5. Improving Shooting Range and Accuracy
6. Specialized Exercises for Shooting
7. Techniques for Improving Running Speed
8. Specialized Exercises for Running
9. Quickness and Agility
10. Specialized Exercises for Agility and Cutting Actions
11. Designing a Personalized Training Program
12. Integrated Training
13. Nutrition: The Foundation of Athletic Performance
14. Tips for Maintaining your Training Program